13 EDIBLE RESUME

 


NEED A GREAT, EXPERIENCED ENGLISH TEACHER OR PERSONAL TUTOR? Contact Teacher Jack!  
[Convenient New Feature: ARCHIVE of All Articles]

WOMAN APPLIES FOR A NIKE JOB WITH AN EDIBLE RESUME

       A job-seeker from North Carolina recently came up with a deliciously creative idea – she sent a cake with her resume printed on it to Nike in an attempt to gain employment with the company.

Karly Blackburn sent the edible resume to the shoe retailer earlier this month after learning the company would be celebrating "Just Do It Day.” She was interested in Valiant Labs, the Nike department focused on new product ideas.

"They are not currently hiring for any positions on that team, but I wanted to find some way for the team to know who I was. What better way than to send a big party cake?" she said.

Karly said she began brainstorming how to get the cake with her edible resume on it from her location in North Carolina to Nike headquarters in Oregon.

"How could I get a cake delivered to a party (that I wasn’t invited to), to THE team I wanted it to go to, from North Carolina all the way to Beaverton, Oregon?" she wrote in a social media post.

She found a grocery store that delivered cakes and an Instacart driver named Denise who agreed to help her carry out her mission.

"I talked to Denise on the phone, and she said to me, ‘Karly, I know this is important to you, and I will do whatever it takes to get this cake to where it needs to be,’" Karly said. "When Denise was asked to leave the cake on the table at the front desk, she said, ‘No, I need to see this go directly into their hands. I promised Karly I would get this cake to the right person.”

Denise navigated the Nike campus, all while holding her sleeping child in one arm and the sheet cake in the other.

Denise, the mother of three kids with a fourth on the way, said in an interview that she did finally make contact with the correct Nike manager, and Denise even requested that he take a photograph with the cake to confirm that it was received.

"He said to me, ‘Oh, a cake! It’s too nice for me to cut into it.’ And I replied, ‘Yeah, it’s pretty awesome the way she thought of putting her resume on it. It’s kind of what Nike needs: thinking out of the box and initiative," Denise remembers.

While Karly does not yet know if her cake will pay off in getting her a job at Nike, she did learn that her determination and creativity inspired Denise, the Instacart delivery person.

"Regardless whether I get a job at Nike, the best thing I heard about that day was Denise’s saying, 'You have inspired me. This was meant to be. I am a mom, and I am tired of doing Instacart. I know I have more abilities and qualifications to get something better. I'm so glad this worked for the both of us,' " Karly said.

"Delivering my cake that day inspired one person. And maybe this post will inspire more," Karly continued. "Helping people realize their potentials is what I love to do. At the end of the day, it is not about the cake at all. It is about making things happen and taking a chance outside of the box. Denise did it. She did whatever it took to help me get that cake from North Carolina to Nike in Oregon. And that is what I like to do. That is why I am different from the pack."

Karly reports that she has spoken with Nike and has upcoming meetings with the company.

©  www.odditycentral.com

   LEARNING TOOLS

Linggle Text-to-Speech Reader

English Dictionary

Chinese Dictionary

Quizlet Vocabulary

English questions about this article or about English in general?

Ask Teacher Jack at: asktjack1@gmail.com



CHECK OUT OUR OTHER PAGES:

ARCHIVE/JOKES  TEACHER JACK   IDIOMS   ENGLISH FACTS



NEED A GREAT, EXPERIENCED ENGLISH TEACHER OR PERSONAL TUTOR? Contact Teacher Jack!

Facebook: Full Spectrum English Tutor Teacher Jack

APPRENTUS TUTOR: TEACHER JACK



ALWAYS SOMETHING NEW AT

Offbeat English

https://linggle-offbeatenglish.blogspot.com/

COME BACK SOON!